Growth and Characterization of Oxides, Crystalline Oxides on Semiconductors, Ferroelectric Coupling to Conducting Channels, Picoscale Engineering of Correlated Advanced Nanomaterials, Synchrotron Structures of Interfaces, X-ray Diffraction and Applications
The research group focuses on the fabrication and the study of the physical properties of novel complex oxide materials using advanced growth and characterization techniques, including molecular beam epitaxy and synchrotron x-ray scattering techniques. Current interests include the physics and technology of multifunctional oxides, nanofabrication and electronic writing using scanning probe microscopies, electronic control of complex order parameters in correlated oxides, and development of nonvolatile logic switches for post-CMOS computing paradigms.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- AVS Peter Mark Memorial Award
- David and Lucile Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship
- Director, Yale SEAS Cleanroom
- Director, Yale Institute for Nanoscience and Quantum Engineering
- Director, Yale Center for Research on Interface Structures and phenomena, an NSF MRSEC
- Chair, Department of Applied Physics (-2021)
- G. Fabbris, D. Meyers, J. Okamoto, J. Pelliciari, A. S. Disa, Y. Huang, Z.-Y. Chen, W. B. Wu, C. T. Chen, S. Ismail-Beigi, C. H. Ahn, F. J. Walker, D. J. Huang, T. Schmitt, and M. P. M. Dean. Physical Review Letters, 117(14), 147401, 2016.
- D. Kumah, M. Dogan, J. Ngai, D. Qiu, Z. Zhang, D. Su, E. D. Specht, S. Ismail-Beigi, C. Ahn, and F. Walker, Engineered Unique Elastic Modes at a BaTiO3/(2×1)−Ge(001) Interface. Physical Review Letters, 116, 106101, 2016.
- K. Zou, S. Mandal, S. Albright, R. Peng, Y. Pu, D. Kumah, C. Lau, G. Simon, O. Dagdeviren, X. He, I. Božović, U. Schwarz, E. Altman, D. Feng, F. Walker, S. Ismail-Beigi, and C. Ahn, Role of double TiO2 layers at the interface of FeSe/SrTiO3 superconductors. Physical Review B 93, 180506(R), 2016.
- A. Disa. D. Kumah, A. Malashevich, H. Chen, D. Arena, E. Specht, S. Ismail-Beigi, F. Walker, and C. Ahn, Orbital engineering in symmetry-breaking polar heterostructures. Physical Review Letters 114, 026801, 2015.
- C.H. Ahn, Y. Bason, X. Hong, L. Klein, J.-B. Yau, “Magnetoelectronic devices based on colossal magnetoresistive thin films”
- A. Kolpak, F. Walker, J. Reiner, C. Ahn, S. Ismail-Beigi, “Ferroelectric devices including a layer having two or more stable configurations”