Radiation Pressure Induced Photon-Phonon Coupling at Nanoscales, Self-Adaptive Optomechanical Systems and Open-System Energetics, Novel Laser Sources Based on Photon-Phonon Interactions
The Rakich group focuses on experimental nonlinear optics and spectroscopy. Research areas include: the study of natural and artificial forms of optical nonlinearity in nanostructured effective media; the dynamics and evolution of nonlinear systems at new time and length scales; optical forces and energetics in nanoscale systems; nonlinear nano-optomechanical interactions.
P. Rakich, C. Reinke, R. Camacho, P. Davids, and Z. Wang, “Giant Enhancement of Stimulated Brillouin Scattering in the Subwavelength Limit,” Physical Review X, vol. 2, no. 1, p. 011008, Jan. 2012.
P. T. Rakich, Z. Wang, and P. Davids, “Scaling of optical forces in dielectric waveguides: rigorous connection between radiation pressure and dispersion.,” Optics letters, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 217–9, Jan. 2011.
P. T. Rakich, P. Davids, and Z. Wang, “Tailoring optical forces in waveguides through radiation pressure and electrostrictive forces.,” Optics express, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 14439–53, Jul. 2010.
P. T. Rakich, M. a. Popović, M. Soljačić, and E. P. Ippen, “Trapping, corralling and spectral bonding of optical resonances through optically induced potentials,” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 658–665, Nov. 2007.
P. T. Rakich, Y. Fink, and M. Soljacić, “Efficient mid-IR spectral generation via spontaneous fifth-order cascaded-Raman amplification in silica fibers.,” Optics letters, vol. 33, no. 15, pp. 1690–2, Aug. 2008.
P. T. Rakich, M. S. Dahlem, S. Tandon, M. Ibanescu, M. Soljacic, G. S. Petrich, J. D. Joannopoulos, L. A. Kolodziejski, and E. P. Ippen, “Achieving centimetre-scale supercollimation in a large-area two-dimensional photonic crystal,” Nature Materials, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 93–96, Feb. 2006.
- P. Rakich and M. Popovic, “Controlling optical resonances via optically induced potentials,” US Patent 7,583,874, 2009.
- P. Rakich, M. Soljacic, and Y. Fink, “Optimized cascaded raman fiber-based laser source for high efficiency mid-infrared spectral generation,” US Patent 8,189,257, 2012.
- M. Ibanescu, E. Reed, P.T. Rakich, S.G. Johnson, E.P. Ippen, J.D. Joannopoulos, M. Soljacic, R.E. Hamam, Efficient terahertz sources by optical rectification in photonic crystals and metamaterials exploiting tailored transverse dispersion relations, 2007, US Patent Number - US 7421171 B2.
- P.T. Rakich, P. Davids, Z. Wang, R. Camacho, I. El-kady, R.H. Olsson, C.M. Reinke, Nano-Optomechanical Transducer, 2010, US Patent Number - US8600200 B1.
- P.T. Rakich, Ultralow loss cavities and waveguides via radiation cancellation, 2011, US Patent Number -US 8625939 B1.